Sowing winter vegetables

It still amazes me, how organised a gardener has to be. Here we are, in the middle of summer, and I have had to sow all my winter vegetables.
We have to get all our vegetables planted out in March*. Any later than that and the seedlings sit in the cold soil, shiver, complain and do nothing. They just don't grow.It's a risky business, though. We might still get a heat wave. And if that happens after I've planted out the tender little seedlings, well, they'll be cactus. So, I sow more than I need. Just in case.
*I am talking about our particular place in the Adelaide Hills. Autumn hits earlier here, than in the city. Every place is different. :)

In March, the soil is still warm and the seedlings are off to a good start. They can grow to a reasonable size, before the cold weather hits.

Now I'll better get the winter beds organised. Always a bit awkward when we haven't even started our proper summer harvest yet. Oh, the joys of gardening! :)

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

KEEP THE GROUND WARM BY DIGGING A DITCH AND FILLING IT WITH FRESH HORSE MANURE, COVER WITH 10CM GOOD SOIL AND PLANT STRONG SEEDLINGS IN THIS - THEY WILL THRIVE.
CLIVE IN FORRESTON

Post a Comment